Smart Villages provide towns and villages with powerful digital marketing tools, ideal for promoting tourism attractions and visitor engagement.
Read more in Smart Villages as Tourism Portals.
Digital Tourism Best Practices
This encompasses and packages :
- Market insights – Summary reviews of industry analyst reports that define and explore the big market drivers impacting tourism globally and also specifically in Scotland.
- Best practices for social media marketing – How to use key tools like Twitter and Linkedin, planning visitor ‘journeys’ across your sites and feeds, and how to deliver a compelling online experience.
As the Scottish Government reports tourism is a booming trade and with the right strategy, they too can harness the Outlander Effect to inject a massive boost into their local economies.
“Rise in overseas visitors coming to Scotland.
“Overseas visitors from North America spent £732 million in the 12 months to the end of June 2017, a 48% jump compared to £495 million in the previous 12 months.
There was a 38% increase in visits from North America, with more than 707,000 choosing Scotland as a destination in the 12 months to the end of June 2017 compared with the previous 12 months. Across all international markets, there was a 11% increase in visits in the 12 months to the end of June 2017 with spending rising too by 19% to more than £2 billion.”
In a recent report Scottish Enterprise identifies ‘Megatrends‘ that Scotland can tap into to massively boost their tourism economy.
Help visitors experience them in an authentic and genuinely personal way.
The concept behind the mega trend is to make the sum part of a country destination far more compelling than only one or two cities or famous landmarks. It is instilling a sense of excitement and adventure that there is so much to explore and uncover: the possibilities are endless! The intention is to stimulate visitors to know more, do more, travel further and stay longer.
The Evolving Traveller
Establish a sophisticated framework for analysing and targeting visitors from Scotland’s passionately loyal and high spending base in North America, Australia, France, Italy, Nordics and Germany based on common interests or ‘tribes’ across markets, rather than by nationality.
Technology to Stimulate
Using innovative technology and exploiting data is vital to analyse, influence and improve the visitor journey at every stage with a core focus on enhancing the in-country traveller experience.
A key dynamic is the relationship between TV media and social media, providing the context for tapping into global markets, aka “Harnessing the Outlander Effect“.
- Heritage tourism how to guide.
- H&I Sustainable Tourism.
- VisitScotland offers their Growth Fund program.
- Fife offers a list of local funding opportunities, as part of their tourism strategy.
- VisitScotland offer a series of toolkits.
- VisitAberdeenshire offers their own localized version.
- The Digital Tourism Scotland site offers a packed library of social marketing best practices for tourism.
- The Scottish Tourism Alliance discusses digital.