Smart Villages Action Plan
SmartVillage.scot is a Digital Scotland Action Plan initiative, intended to support an overall goal of a building digital nation through providing technology support to the ICT needs of smaller rural communities.
This is also linked to and driven by a policy analysis to also align these to relevant Scottish Government initiatives, notably:
- Economic Strategies to form and collaborate around a common Rural Economic Framework, for purposes of unlocking an extra £2.5 billion in economic growth.
- Regional Inclusive Growth – Research from CommonSpace identified the need for a bottom up approach to local Economic Development. Smart Villages provide a platform for this approach.
- Enabling Local People to Lead – The Scottish Community Alliance describes a vision for empowered, self-reliant local communities, a vision that Smart Villages provides the platform for enabling.
- To provide accelerating digital tools for key sectors like ‘micro businesses’, through Digital Infrastructure for the Gig Economy.
- Broadband Rollout – Also to support digital campaigning for specific local needs in areas like broadband provision, via campaign themes such as ‘No More Not Spots‘.
We deliver Smart Village sites as part of an overall Regional Action Plan for each cluster of local communities.